Casey-Cardinia Library Corporation offers a varied Secondary School Student work experience program that places students in one library, but gives them experience across the wide range of library services and operations. We also have limited places for secondary students undertaking a program which requires Community Service, such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award. These placements are ONLY available to students undertaking such programs through their school. (Casey-Cardinia Library Corporation only utilises volunteers in the delivery of our Home Library Service).
Placements are highly sought after and the following conditions apply:
- For one week only (work experience) or for set hours over a limited number of weeks (community service)
- Based in one library - places are available at Bunjil Place, Cranbourne, Endeavour Hills, Hampton Park and Pakenham Libraries.
- Work Experience students will be paid $10 per day.
- Work Experience runs from 10am to 4pm from Monday to Friday in the specified week, community service is also Monday to Friday, but set hours as agreed with the library
- Transport to the library is the student’s responsibility
- Dress requirements during placements are neat casual with appropriate footwear.
All requests for work experience or community service placements require a minimum of six weeks' notice and will be assessed as they are received. Applications close as follows:
Between January - June: applications must be received by the 31st March.
Between July - December: applications must be received by the 31st July.
ALL APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 ARE CLOSED!
- Applications for 2018 are open now for Bunjil Place, Endeavour Hills, Hampton Park and Pakenham. Applications for Cranbourne open in January 2018.
No late applications will be considered and unfortunately not all placements are able to be accepted.
How to apply
Students wishing to apply for work experience or community service must complete the Work Experience/Community Service Application form and submit it with a copy of their resume.
(See "How to write a resume" from Youth Central for assistance in creating a resume)
Students will also be called for an interview with library staff.
Students will be notified of the outcome of their application within 28 days.
For Work Experience - If a suitable placement is found a letter will be sent to the student's home address, requesting that the student forward their approved Work Experience Arrangement Form/Practical Placement Arrangement Form. This form will be completed and signed by the Library and sent back to the student’s home address. This form will then need to signed by the principal of the educational institution, the student and their parent/guardian if under the age of 18 and returned to the Library.
Please note that the completed Work Experience Arrangement Form must be received at least two weeks before placement begins to confirm the placement and that the Library reserves the right to cancel any placement that does not provide the documentation within relevant timeframes.
Once completed paper work has been received by the Library, confirmation will be forwarded to the student’s home address with specific details (including hours, location etc.) of their placement.
For Community Service - the library will work with you to finalise all arrangements as appropriate.
Tertiary students wishing to undertake placement at Casey-Cardinia Library Corporation must contact the Operations Manager at CCLC's headquarters - Ph. 5990 0100.